A partnership between:
Introduction to 2023 CDP-ICLEI Track
- 2023 CDP-ICLEI Track Questionnaire: We invite you to respond to the following questions of the 2023 CDP-ICLEI Track questionnaire. Responding jurisdictions will only have to report once per year, on one platform, to the following questions.
- CDP and ICLEI: CDP will use this climate data to provide insights for local and regional jurisdictions, allowing them to track their progress, benchmark their efforts with their peers and drive further action. ICLEI will support subnational jurisdictions with technical assistance and use this data to guide climate action, inform research and analysis activities and represent subnational jurisdictions in global advocacy forums to showcase local and regional climate leadership.
- Online Response System: Please report using CDP’s Online Response System (ORS), accessed via CDP’s website or the activation link you will receive. The User Guide shows all the possible question types that responding jurisdictions may encounter in the ORS. Please note, you must submit your response in the ORS, the system cannot accept responses provided in other formats (i.e., PDF or Word documents).
- Personal Data: It is important that you do not include the name of any individual or any other personal data in your response. For questions that ask for the positions of staff, out of respect for personal data privacy we are asking only for the position and not for the individual’s name or any other information relating to them.
- Additional Information: At the end of the questionnaire, there is an opportunity to provide additional information or context that you feel is relevant to your response. This field is optional and not scored.
- Data Quality: To enhance data quality and support analysis please note:
- Any quantifiable data must be reported in the units stated in the column/question.
- Numbers in your response must be reported in a way that matches the cultural setting selected on your My Account page. When inputted in the ORS, numbers will be displayed in a format specific to the cultural setting selected. The cultural setting determines which decimal separator or group separator is used, i.e. a decimal point or comma. For further information please see the User Guide.
Support and Resources
- 2023 CDP-ICLEI Track Changes Map: The 2023 CDP-ICLEI Track Changes Map provides an outline of key changes to the questions that comprise the questionnaire and further detail on the auto-population of previously reported data. Ensuring the reporting effort is not increased has been a priority consideration for the development of 2023 CDP-ICLEI Track, with any changes made to ease reporting, improve data quality, and reflect best practice on climate action.
- 2023 CDP-ICLEI Track Reporting Guidance: The 2023 CDP-ICLEI Track Reporting Guidance describes what information to provide, the required format, and where to find tools or further information to construct your answer. It can be accessed on the linked guidance page. Additional reporting guidance is available within the Online Reporting System by clicking on the help icon accompanying each question and through the expandable link below each question.
- Framework and Initiative Alignment: The 2023 CDP-ICLEI Track Framework Alignment Map provides an overview of the frameworks the questionnaire is aligned with and maps each question to the applicable framework. 2023 CDP-ICLEI Track is aligned with the reporting requirements of several frameworks and initiatives including the Global Covenant of Mayors Common Reporting Framework (CRF), the UNFCCC's campaigns Race to Resilience and Race to Zero, Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), the Sustainable Development Goals, ICLEI initiatives, C40 Cities, WWF One Planet City Challenge, and the NetZeroCities Initiative.
- For 2023, CDP-ICLEI Track will be aligning with the complete set of reporting requirements of the newly published Global Covenant of Mayors Energy Access and Poverty Pillar (EAPP) in the Common Reporting Framework. See the Global Covenant of Mayors Common Reporting Framework webpage for the most up to date information on the Energy Access and Poverty Pillar.
- TCFD Guidance Note: The Guidance Note on the TCFD Recommendations for City, State, and Regional Governments provides an overview of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), the benefits of reporting against the TCFD recommendations, and maps the recommendations against the questionnaire.
- Accompanying Symbols: For certain columns and/or rows the symbol ^ will be presented, this is to indicate that the applicable column and/or row is a reporting requirement for the Global Covenant of Mayors Common Reporting Framework (CRF). For certain rows and/or columns the * symbol will be presented, this is to indicate that the presentation of the applicable column and/or row is dependent on an earlier selection within the question. The typical function of this is to present columns and/or rows of relevance where the responder has indicated that the data for the applicable field is available to report.
- Open Data Portal: The Open Data Portal (ODP) is an online data resource that allows the public to view all data publicly reported to CDP from cities, states and regions. Visualizations of data reported in previous years can be found here.
Feedback and Contact
- Feedback: You can provide feedback on the content of our questionnaires and supporting documents through our online Questionnaire Feedback Form. The Questionnaire Feedback Form is available year-round and in multiple languages which can be changed using the language selection tool. We are unable to respond individually to all feedback, but please be assured that all form submissions are reviewed and contribute towards our continuous improvement.
- Contact: If you require further support for questions that are not addressed in the reporting guidance, for accessing the Online Reporting System or for general inquiries, please visit the CDP Help Centre or get in touch with your regional contact:
- The ICLEI network can email [email protected]. C40 Cities can contact their regional director or [email protected] for help in compiling their response.
- 2023 CDP-ICLEI Track is divided into three distinct pathways. These three pathways streamline reporting, allowing local jurisdictions to find the most appropriate questionnaire for their local context.
- Respondents will be recommended a pathway during the questionnaire activation process based upon their response to three jurisdictional attributes. Jurisdicitons are provided the flexibility to change their pathway if required. They can also return to their dashboard and change the pathway selected at any point prior to submitting the response.
- An increase in the pathway number is accompanied by an increase in the number of questions.
- The pathway selected does not affect meeting the reporting requirements of the projects and initiatives the jurisdiction is participating in and it does not affect CDP scoring or Global Covenant of Mayors badging.
- An overview of each pathway is provided in the table below. The complete breakdown can be viewed in the Questionnaire Pathway Map and further information can be found in the Questionnaire Pathways Guidance Note.
|Number of Questions
|View Questionnaire by Pathway
|View the Pathway 1 Questionnaire
|View the Pathway 2 Questionnaire
|View the Pathway 3 Questionnaire
CDP and ICLEI would like to thank all entities that assisted in the development of 2023 CDP-ICLEI Track.