A partnership between:
Introduction to 2022 Cities Questionnaire
- 2022 Cities Questionnaire: We invite you to report to the following questions of the 2022 Cities Questionnaire. Responding governments will only have to report once, on one platform, to the following questions.
- CDP and ICLEI: CDP will use this climate data to provide insights for local and regional governments, allowing them to track their progress, benchmark their efforts with their peers and drive further action. ICLEI will support subnational governments with technical assistance and use this data to guide accelerating climate action, inform research and analysis activities and represent subnational governments in global advocacy forums to showcase local and regional climate leadership.
- Online Response System: Please report using CDP’s Online Response System (ORS), accessed via CDP’s website or the activation link you will receive. This document shows all the possible questions that responding governments may encounter in the ORS. Please note, you must submit your response in the ORS, the system cannot accept responses provided in other formats (i.e., PDF or Word documents).
- Personal Data: It is important that you do not include the name of any individual or any other personal data in your response. For questions that ask for the positions of staff, out of respect for personal data privacy we are asking only for the position and not for the individual’s name or any other information relating to them.
- Additional Information: At the end of the questionnaire, there is an opportunity to provide additional information or context that you feel is relevant to your response. This field is optional and not scored.
Support and resources
- 2022 Cities Questionnaire Changes Map: The 2022 Cities Questionnaire Changes Map provides an outline of key changes to the questions that comprise the questionnaire and further detail on the auto-population of previously reported data. Reducing reporting effort has been a priority consideration for the development of the Cities 2022 Questionnaire. This has resulted in a significant reduction in the number of questions and the quantity of data that is requested. The questions have been designed to improve efficiency in reporting with the vast majority of data requested in a selection-based or numeric format.
- 2022 Cities Reporting Guidance: The 2022 Cities Reporting Guidance describes what information to provide, the required format, and where to find tools or further information to construct your answer, it can be accessed on the linked guidance page. Additional reporting guidance is available within the Online Reporting System where guidance can be found by clicking on the help icon accompanying each question and through the expandable link below each question.
- Framework and Initiative Alignment: The 2022 Cities Framework Alignment Map provides an overview of the frameworks the questionnaire is aligned with and maps each question to the applicable framework. The 2022 Cities Questionnaire is aligned with the reporting requirements of several frameworks and initiatives including the Global Covenant of Mayors Common Reporting Framework (CRF), Race to Resilience, Race to Zero, Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), European Climate Pact, Sustainable Development Goals, ICLEI initiatives and C40 Cities.
- TCFD Guidance Note: The Guidance Note on the TCFD Recommendations for City, State, and Regional Governments provides an overview of the Task Force on Climate-related Disclosures (TCFD), the benefits of reporting against the TCFD recommendations, and maps the recommendations against the questionnaire.
- Accompanying Symbols: For certain columns and/or rows the symbol ^ will be presented, this is to indicate that the applicable column and/or row is a reporting requirement for the Global Covenant of Mayors Common Reporting Framework (CRF). For certain rows and/or columns the * symbol will be presented, this is to indicate that the presentation of the applicable column and/or row is dependent on an earlier selection within the question. The typical function of this is to present columns and/or rows of relevance where the responder has indicated that the data for the applicable field is available to report.
- Feedback: You can provide feedback on the content of our questionnaires and supporting documents through our online Questionnaire Feedback Form. The Questionnaire Feedback Form is available year-round and in multiple languages which can be changed using the language selection tool. We are unable to respond individually to all feedback, but please be assured that all form submissions are reviewed and contribute towards our continuous improvement.
- Contact: If you require further support for questions which are not addressed in the reporting guidance, for accessing the Online Reporting System or for general inquiries, please visit the CDP Help Centre. The ICLEI network can email [email protected] C40 cities can contact their regional director or [email protected] for help in compiling their response.
- CDP and ICLEI have introduced three questionnaire pathways to reflect the different contexts of local governments and further streamline reporting.
- The 2022 Cities Questionnaire is divided into three distinct pathways, an increase in the pathways is accompanied by an increase in the number of questions.
- Respondents will be recommended a pathway during the questionnaire activation process based upon their response to three questions but are provided the flexibility to select any pathway.
- Prior to submitting the response, respondents can always return to their dashboard and change the pathway selected. The pathway selected does not affect meeting the reporting requirements of the projects and initiatives the jurisdiction is participating in and it does not affect CDP scoring or Global Covenant of Mayor's badging.
- An overview of each pathway is provided in the table below and the complete breakdown can be viewed in the Questionnaire Mapping Document and further information can be found in the Questionnaire Pathways Guidance Note.
|Pathway||Number of Questions||View Questionnaire by Pathway|
|1||27||View the Pathway 1 Questionnaire|
|2||34||View the Pathway 2 Questionnaire|
|3||40||View the Pathway 3 Questionnaire
- As your jurisdiction is participating in the Global Covenant of Mayors you may be presented with additional questions (3.2, 3.3 and 3.4) and columns (indicated by the ^ symbol), dependent on the questionnaire pathway selected. This is to ensure your response aligns with the reporting requirements of GCoM's Common Reporting Framework. Refer to the Questionnaire Pathway Map for further information.
- As your jurisdiction is participating in ICLEI's GreenClimateCities Program you may be presented with additional questions and/or columns, dependent on the questionnaire pathway selected. This is to ensure your response aligns with the reporting requirements of the GreenClimateCities Program. Refer to the Questionnaire Pathway Map for further information.
- As your jurisdiction is participating in The 100% Renewables Cities and Regions Network you may be presented with additional questions and/or columns, dependent on the questionnaire pathway selected. This is to ensure your response aligns with the reporting requirements of The 100% Renewables Cities and Regions Network. Refer to the Questionnaire Pathway Map for further information.
- As your jurisdiction is participating in ICLEI EcoMobility and/or EcoLogistics you may be presented with additional questions, dependent on the questionnaire pathway selected. This is to ensure your response aligns with the reporting requirements of The 100% Renewables Cities and Regions Network. Refer to the Questionnaire Pathway Map for further information.
CDP and ICLEI would like to thank the following entities for their assistance in the development of the 2022 Cities Questionnaire.